Living 40 plus and fabulous

Living 40 plus and fabulous

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Fur babies!

My sister and I didn’t have pets until I was about 13. We had a fish tank and some goldfish and when I was in Junior High we got a toy poodle named Button. Aside from Button, I was very leery of dogs and honestly didn’t really care for them much. They made me nervous, I wasn't sure I could trust them to not bite and they were always up in my face licking and smelling parts of me where a dog had no business being. I became a cat person.
I bought Jezebel from the Denver Dumb Friends League in August of 1999. She was and still is the meanest scariest cat around. Just ask anyone in my family or friends that have been to my house. She likes me (like being a strong word) but really has zero tolerance for anyone else. She once jumped on my sister’s lap and neither of us knew what to do. It was weird.



Fast forward to 2013, I still have Jezebel, she is still a bitch and I really didn’t care for dogs when I met my ex. He has a dog that is lab mix named Bentley. I am not sure what sort of weird spell that this dog put on me but it was basically love at first sight. When they all moved into my house, Bentley became my buddy when I would sit out in the sun after work enjoying a beer. He would take selfies with me and he would be so excited to see me when I came home from work. The excitement of that dog when he would see me was the best feeling in the world. It’s the unconditional love of a dog that will suck you right into being a dog lover forever. There is no going back.



About a year later I decided I wanted to get a dog for me. I wanted a sweater dog. You know what I mean, a little ankle biter that I could carry around in my purse and dress up in cute little clothes. What I got was rescue dog from the reservation that turned out to be an 80lb goofball. I named her Daisy Mae and I wouldn’t trade her for anything in the world. 

How could I not love this face and want to take her home with me? 


She adored my ex and didn’t really want too much to do with me. Traitor bitch. She also loved Bentley and followed him everywhere. When they moved out and Bentley left it was really hard for both of us. We both missed him immensely and there is still a hole in my heart that misses him every day. 



She loves me a lot more since it was just the two of us but I could tell she was lonely and bored. She would literally jump off the walls and furniture when I got home. I decided after a couple months of this that she needed a friend. I watched the rescue Facebook and web pages but none of the dogs really caught my eye until I saw Synder (pronounced like Cinder).



He was from the humane society but was being fostered with a dog trainer. After a couple weeks of watching posts about this dog I decided that he and Daisy needed to meet. There was something about him that I was drawn to. It only took them about 20 minutes of sniffing and they were best friends. By the end of the day I was in love and wondered how I ever lived without this dog in my life.

This was just a few hours after adoption. They were already very comfortable with each other. 








I know what the humane society told me about Synder and why he was at the pound but I honestly think he was there waiting for Daisy and I to come along. I won the pound puppy lottery. He loves to cuddle with both of us and the way he looks at me melts my heart. It’s been a rough couple months adjusting back to single life but these two dogs have made it so much better. I am not sure if I saved him or if he saved me. We rescued each other.


If I can end with one thing it is this - if you are looking for a pet, please consider a rescue. There are so many lost and lonely pets out there just wanting to love you. They will change your life for the better and you will not regret it.  

I was sick so they climbed on my lap for some loves and cuddles to help me get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment