Living 40 plus and fabulous

Living 40 plus and fabulous

Monday, March 12, 2012

Mmmm... Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Growing up some of my most precious memories are at my grandma's house. She always had fun stuff to do and she made the best food. My favorite thing that she would make was her homemade spaghetti sauce. It was always a treat to be there when she made it fresh but it was also delicious when she canned it and we could enjoy it during the cold winter months. To this day it is still a special treat.
When my cousin Michael was wounded in Afganastan we had a fundraiser for him that included a auction and a spaghetti dinner. We all made sauce from my grandma's recipe and used that instead of store bought. We had so many people tell us that it was the best spaghetti dinner they have every had. It was the sauce that they all loved so much.
Last Tuesday after I went to Gloria's funeral I was surprised to see my aunt Kally at my grandma's house. We all three went to lunch and after that we all went to grandmas to make spaghetti sauce. It was a really great day and a nice end to what started out as a sad day.
Normally I would post the recipe of what I have cooked but I don't have it with me today. Besides when we made it my grandma just told us what to add not really following a recipe. It is very simple ingredients but the true secret is letting it simmer all day. You can make it quick but it just won't taste the same. Sorry I don't have quantities for the ingredients.

Cook onions, garlic and mushrooms (optional) in some olive oil

Add tomato paste and tomato sauce

Here she is ordering us about. Lol!

Add tomatoes and Italian seasonings

Here is the finished batch after it simmered all day. Yummy!

Dinner is served! Oh the memories this brings back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment