Living 40 plus and fabulous

Living 40 plus and fabulous

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Are you grateful?

Sorry that it has been a few days since my last post. Life is kinda getting in the way of things and I haven't been able to post like I want to. I have been trying to do so much and it is kind of catching up with me. On Monday I was just exhausted. I decided to listen to my body and not go out and train for my 5k. As a matter of fact I just  went home, put on my pj's and went to bed at 6:00. I didn't go to sleep I just laid there and watched TV until about 9 then I went to sleep. I only ate a granola bar for dinner! That's how tired I was. I think my body needed it.
Yesterday I went to a funeral for my friends mother. While I was sitting there waiting for the mass to start I heard a cry of grief so great that it physically hurt my heart. The grief that my friends father was experiencing at the loss of his wife was a sound that I have never heard before. It was a wailing of sorrow and sadness and things to never come. It was so heartfelt and sad that tears immediately came to my eyes. I thought of my parents and the love they have for each other. I thought of the heart ache that they will feel when one is gone. I thought of the years ahead for my friends dad and hopefully the void in his heart that he will be able to fill with his children and grand children.
This was the 3rd memorial service that I have been to in 30 days. Needless to say I have been doing a lot of thinking about death and life and how tragic it is that these 3 people have passed away long before they should have. One was for a 5 year old little girl, one for a 25 year old woman and one for a 60 year old woman. All three had so much more living to do. So many things that they could have accomplished. I mourn for these beautiful souls and the things they will never do again. I mourn for the parents and family that have lost a loved one way too soon. I mourn for the 2 girls that will never get to dance with their fathers at their weddings and for the grandma that will never see her grand kids graduate or get married. I mourn for the lives that will never be touched by the kindness of these three individuals.
It really makes me sit back and be grateful for all that I have in my life. Of course there are things that I want. Husband and kids, grand kids, more money to travel or live abroad, the list could go on and on. I do realize though that I have been blessed beyond words. I have so many family and friends that I could call on at a moments notice and they would be there for me. I have a sister that is my best friend. I have both my parents and I can talk to them everyday. I have a house that I own and a job that I enjoy and don't dread going to. I have been given a family that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Of course we have our ups and downs but in the grand scheme of things they are pretty fantastic. I have money in the bank and food on my table. I have friends that I can laugh with and act stupid with and tell secrets to. Honestly I have more than a lot of people. I try not to take it for granted and I am so grateful for what I have and who is in my life. I wouldn't trade any of it.
If you do nothing else today, just take a moment to tell someone how much they mean to you. Call your parents or your kids, your grandparents, your extended family or your friends. You never know when that last moment with them will be. Cherish those moments and make the most out of every second. If I haven't told you yet, I love you and I am truly grateful that you are in my life!

I dedicate this post to Kimber Brown, Caitlin Kremler and Gloria Lopez. Gone but most definitely never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment