Living 40 plus and fabulous

Living 40 plus and fabulous

Friday, March 2, 2012

Purple Cauliflower Soup

pretty!


Last week while grocery shopping I went to grab a head of cauliflower and noticed that they had purple and orange as well as the regular white. I immediately grabbed the last of the colored ones and couldn't wait to make something yummy with them. I didn't want to just steam or roast them either. I searched online and finally found a recipe that was simple and one that I had all the ingredients for. Purple Cauliflower Soup! It was delicious and very easy to make. It took about 40 minutes from start to eating. Click here for the original recipe. I really didn't stray too far from the original recipe. I used low sodium broth and unsalted butter because I like to control the salt in my food. I'm not a huge salt fan. I also did not garnish the soup with a drizzle of olive oil. It didn't really need it. I highly suggest garnishing with smoked paprika if you have it. It gives it a nice smokey taste that I can't really describe. It is also good without it too so it doesn't matter too much if that is something you don't have in your pantry. I din't puree mine to a completely smooth consistency. I liked having a few chunks of cauliflower in every bite.

Purple Cauliflower Soup

1 head of purple, orange or white cauliflower (They all taste the same BTW)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter (I  used unsalted)
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium and 1 can was fat free)
smoked paprika
good quality olive oil (optional)

Clean and break up cauliflower into small florets.

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sautee for 5 minutes.

Add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.Be careful that the garlic does not burn. Add cauliflower florets, stir to cover with oil and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Puree soup using an emersion blender, food processor or blender and return to pot. Check seasoning. Garnish soup with smoked paprika and a drizzle of good quality olive oil.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment